Friday, January 11, 2008

Potty Training Mishaps

Emma has been potty trained since July. She even potty trained herself at night. I wasn't expecting that and to be honest it was kindof annoying that she would wake up ever 4-6 hours and need to go to the potty even when she had a pullup on. Being that she won't get out of her bed at all after nap or in the morning she will call for us to come and get her. Usually she says "I need to potty" in this pitiful sounding voice. Lately she has gotten much better, she gets up around 2-3am to go and she has even made it a few nights without needing to get up at all. Anyways, I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging. I am very proud that Emma is all potty trained but we have definitely had some bumps in the road.

A few months ago Emma went for about two weeks where if she was playing with friends and she didn't want to stop to go pee she would just pee in her pants. That of course would make me so mad because most of the time I would have asked her if she needed to go and she would say no and then shortly after that she would pee in her pants. After a few weeks of her doing that I started giving her a swat on the butt or sat her in the corner when she would pee in her panties and that fixed that problem.

We also created another problem. One night we forgot to turn the audio monitor on and Emma had woken up calling for us to go potty and we didn't hear her. I must have heard her calling out after a while and woke up. Poor baby, she had wet her bed and had been crying for who knows how long. I tried to explain to her that if we don't come to get her she can come out of her bedroom and go to the potty herself. I have yet to see that. Anyways, after that incident she got really weird about going to bed. We would have her go to the potty right before bed and when she got into the bed she would say she needed to go again immediately. We would try to convince her that she just went but she would get really upset. So we would let her get up again, but most of the time she wouldn't go again. One night after she had gotten up for the 3rd time we had enough. We tried sitting her in the corner if she didn't go again but she just thought that was fun that she didn't have to go to bed. So we finally told her she could get up again to go, but if she didn't go then she would get a spanking. We had to do that for about a week and she finally stopped. Wheeew, who thought potty training would be so hard?

No comments: