Monday, January 18, 2010

Jackson's sick

My poor little buddy, Jackson is sick. I was very worried about him last night before bed. He seemed to be having a difficult time breathing. He was breathing fast, had a few episodes of apnea, and was coughing so much. He finally settled down and slept pretty well after being restless for a few hours. I was seriously considering taking him to the ER. I googled online his symptomes and had determined he had RSV.

So this morning Kevin was so sweet to let me sleep in until 11. Jackson seemed ok when he came in to wake me up but after running around for a while it was obvious he was having a difficult time breathing, he was coughing nonstop. So I pinned him in the pack and play so he couldn't run and made a doctors appt. When I took him in I told his pediatrician all his symptomes and that I thought he had RSV. She examined him and asked me all the little details of him being sick. While listening to him she chuckled and said "only a nurse would come in with a diagnosis", and then she said that she thought I was right! She also found that he had bilateral ear infections, which apparently is pretty common with RSV. Poor baby. So he started on his first ever antibiotic, Amoxicillin, and a respiratory treatment, Albuterol. He seems better already after a day's worth of respiratory treatments. I hope he doesn't end up with asthma, apparently 30% of children that have RSV before the age of 2 end up having asthma.

Here is a picture of my little buddy doing his first respiratory treatment, reluctantly.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor guy. Praying for a fast recovery and no long term effects.

Wendy said...

Poor dude. He looks so big in that picture! Caleb is finally turing the corner.